2020 Leaders’ Commissioning – Jennifer Oaten
School leadership roles are an important means of preparing students for success in life. Our Commissioning Ceremony enabled our newly elected leaders to make a commitment to the College community, including their parents. All students are to be congratulated on nominating and being elected to a leadership role.
As the Principal of Santa Maria College, the characteristics I see as important in being a leader are the ability to:
- Demonstrate a commitment to our Mercy values in their actions
- Demonstrate preparedness to serve others to make a difference
- Be a role model in actions and words
- Be a team builder who is inclusive of all students
- Demonstrate self-respect and respect for others regardless of differences, treating others with dignity and compassion
- Show humility as a leader
- Show courage to stand up for what is right and just
It’s one thing for students to join a co-curricular, make new friends, learn new skills or make positive use of their gifts and talents; however, the benefits of participation can rise to new levels when a student chooses to take on a leadership role.
Leadership roles give our students a voice, help them develop organisational skills, and promote opportunities to give back to our community. Best wishes to all our 2020 leaders.