The Importance Of Mothers – Jennifer Oaten
Many people have influenced my life, but one person has done more for me than anyone else, my mother. My mum is special for so many reasons. She is an incredible woman who is calm, considered, humble and loves us unconditionally. Most of all, she is authentic, always holding her faith and values close and regardless of what challenges she faces, she is always so positive.
My mother was a dedicated nurse, and she placed great value on education. She worked the night shift so I could go to boarding school and get a good education.
Our mothers work hard and make many sacrifices for us, so on Mother’s Day, let us appreciate and thank our Mothers and other special women in our lives. Tell them how important they are to us and how much we appreciate them.
Mother Teresa shared a sentiment with us that is so relevant on Mother’s Day. She said, “It’s not about how much you do, but how much love you put into what you do that counts.” Time spent with your Mum on Mother’s Day and every day acknowledges her value in your life.
This time is far more important than gifts. How do you show love for your Mother?
Our Mothers are an important influence on our lives and who we are, as are our grandmothers, our aunties and all those special women in our lives because:
- We all need love, and our mothers love us unconditionally and are always forgiving
- They share with us their faith and their values
- They teach us to have confidence and belief in ourselves
- They are a rock of strength and a haven of protection when we need comforting
- They help us to mould our minds when they share with us their wisdom
- They are role models who help us believe in ourselves and reach our potential
- Their boundaries make us better people. We may not have liked some of their decisions, but they were always made with the best intentions
- They nurture our bodies and heal our spirits
My mother lives three hours away, and I wish she lived around the corner. I would pop in for afternoon tea, hear all the family news and spend time with her in these more challenging years. Whether she be near or far, remember to look after her, cherish her and always remember the sacrifices she has made for you.
Happy Mother’s Day to all our mothers and all the special women in your lives and our College community.