McCormick’s Flavour Forecast Competition
Middle Eastern Mix
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Preparation time: 20-25 minutes
3 large potatoes
2 stalks of spring onion
1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
1/2 a cup of rice milk
1 cup of plain flour
1 tablespoon oil
10 cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup oats
15 grams of pistachios
15 grams of walnuts
15 grams of sunflower seeds
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1 egg white
1/4 olive oil
2 green chilli
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of cumin
1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice
1. Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees fan bake.
2. Toss oats, pistachios, walnuts, sunflower seeds and cayenne pepper with an egg white, and oil in a medium bowl.
3. Transfer the mixture onto a baking tray with baking paper, toss and put into the oven to bake for 25-30 minutes.
4. Take the granola mixture and set aside until presenting. If it’s clumped together smash the granola in a snapback bag so it separates.
5. Blend olive oil, green chilli, coriander, garlic, salt and pepper, cumin and lemon juice until it turns into a chunky paste.
6. Transfer mixture into a ramekin covered, and store in the refrigerator until serving.
7. Peel and grate the potatoes and put into a medium bowl. Chop up spring onion finely.
8. Combine 2 eggs, spring onion, rice milk and flour into the same bowl as the potato and stir until it starts to come together.
9. Heat up a fry pan on a medium heat with some oil then add some of the potato mixture, just bigger than the size of your palm into the pan, and cook till golden on both sides.
10. Boil water in a small saucepan and poach your remaining 2 eggs to poach for sound 2-4 minutes.
11. Transfer the pancakes into the oven to cook further.
12. Chop up the avocado long ways, cherry tomatoes into thirds and prepare the skhug sauce for plating up.
13. Take the pancakes out of the oven and the eggs out of the saucepan and place them into your bowl.
14. Add the granola around the side of the bowl but save some to top of dish, fan the avocado on top of the 2 pancakes and place your egg on top of both the pancakes. Add the skhug sauce on the side of the bowl (optional) or leave it on the side in the ramekin.
Plate skhug sauce in the bowl or on the side, the granola can be served on top of the egg and on the side of the bowl or just on the side of the bowl.