2020 Leaders’ Commissioning – Jennifer Oaten
School leadership roles are an important means of preparing students for success in life. Our Commissioning Ceremony enabled our newly elected leaders to make a commitment to the College community, including their parents. All students are to be congratulated on nominating and being elected to a leadership role.
As the Principal of Santa Maria College, the characteristics I see as important in being a leader are the ability to:
- Demonstrate a commitment to our Mercy values in their actions
- Demonstrate preparedness to serve others to make a difference
- Be a role model in actions and words
- Be a team builder who is inclusive of all students
- Demonstrate self-respect and respect for others regardless of differences, treating others with dignity and compassion
- Show humility as a leader
- Show courage to stand up for what is right and just
It’s one thing for students to join a co-curricular, make new friends, learn new skills or make positive use of their gifts and talents; however, the benefits of participation can rise to new levels when a student chooses to take on a leadership role.
Leadership roles give our students a voice, help them develop organisational skills, and promote opportunities to give back to our community. Best wishes to all our 2020 leaders.
© SANTA MARIA COLLEGE, 2017. Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts of up to 150 words and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author and Santa Maria College with appropriate and specific links to the original content.