Parish Safe Guarding Competition
Congratulations to Year 7 student Sascha Finlay-Collins and Year 9 student Eireann Robertson, who recently entered the Parish Safe Guarding Program Competition. Sascha won the overall competition and Eireann won the Senior age division.
We asked Sascha about her experience.
As 2018 is the Year of Youth, Archbishop Costelloe decided to develop a writing competition encouraging young people to express their thoughts about safety at church and how they feel about safety. Hundreds of entries were received and mine was chosen from all of the age categories to be the overall winner. I received my prize at an awards breakfast this week.
I decided to enter the competition because the Deacon at my Parish spoke about the competition and I felt I had a good understanding of the topic. I feel it’s fun to challenge myself to try things, to have a voice and share my ideas.
I answered the three questions that were required:
- What does it mean to feel safe?
- Why is it important for you to feel safe in church?
- What do you think God is asking of you at this time?
In brief, I wrote:
- That to feel safe is to be able to experience life to the fullest. When you feel safe you can reach your full potential in every aspect of life.
- Parish communities consist of people from all stages of life. Children and elderly people alike should all have the same rights and be accepted equally.
- I also talked about God wanting us to not only go to Church but also go into the world and change it for the better.
I am really happy and proud that I won. It is great that young people can have their ideas heard. It will be brilliant being able to spend my prize money.
© SANTA MARIA COLLEGE, 2017. Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts of up to 150 words and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author and Santa Maria College with appropriate and specific links to the original content.