From The Principal – How to Choose Subjects
My 7 Top Tips For Students
1. Choose your pathway to enable you to achieve maximum personal success. Both ATAR and ACCESS offer incredible opportunities post Year 12 so make sure you understand the potential and possibilities of each pathway.
2. Choose subjects you are passionate about because then you will be motivated to work hard and this will bring you success which then continues the cycle of success.
3. Previous success is a factor in future success, but your willingness to change your strategies and seek support is crucial for improvement, so as a general guide choose subjects where you have shown success in the past.
4. Be honest with yourself. Being realistic and choosing according to your ability will ensure a happier Year 11 and 12.
5. Choose subjects for you, in consultation with your parents, do not select subjects based on what your friends are choosing or who the teacher is likely to be.
6. Choosing your subjects is important and deserves significant time spent on exploring opportunities. Refer to all the resources provided to assist you, talk to older students, siblings and particularly your teachers.
7. Keeping your course as broad as possible as this will help if your plans and hopes change. Experience has shown me that this can happen many times before the end of Year 12.
Parents are very wise and have much to share with their daughters about career pathways, subjects and the world of work. Some parents are very keen to express their opinion while others leave much of the decision-making up to their daughters. I believe, as a parent, it is important to be a good listener, to support your daughter’s decisions and have conversations about choices with them as this will assist significantly in successful subject selection for your girls.
If you were unable to attend the Year 10 Parent Information Evening, you can access the presentation here.
Photo: Year 10 Parent Information Evening