Tasty Treats from the Year 10 Kitchen
Our Year 10 Foods class have been learning how to make and present desserts for service. The girls have learnt skills in preparing and baking desserts for café service including how to blind bake, portion control and presentation of these delicious looking Custard Fruit Tartlets.
They tasted so delicious, that unfortunately none of the tartlets made it to Café this week or home, so we thought we would share the recipe so you can make them at home.Fruit Flans
1/2 and 1/3 cup of plain flour
1/8 – 1/4 cup of cold water
- Chop butter into small cubes and place into food processor.
- Add flour.
- Pulse the food processor until fine breadcrumb appearance is achieved.
- Add 1/8 cup of cold water and process again until a dough forms. Only add more of the water if needed to make a dough.
- Remove from food processor and knead briefly for 1-2mins on a lightly floured bench.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 10mins.
- Meanwhile prepare flan tin by lightly spraying with oil.
- Remove dough from fridge and roll on a sheet of baking paper until larger than flan tin.
- Flip paper and place pastry into flan tin, pressing it into the fluted edges.
- Place baking paper on top of pastry and cover with a small amount of blind baking rice.
- Cover with plastic and place in fridge.
1 ½ cups milk
2 egg yolks
¼ cup caster sugar
1 Tbsp cornflour
¼ tsp vanilla essence
- Remove pastry from fridge and blind bake at 180 degrees, fan bake for 10 mins.
- Remove pastry from oven, carefully lift paper and blind baking rice off pastry. Bake for a further 5-10 mins or until lightly golden and cooked through.
- Prepare custard by bringing milk to a simmer in small saucepan. Remove from heat.
- While milk is heating, whisk egg yolks, sugar, cornflour and vanilla essence together in a small bowl.
- Once the milk is simmering, whisk a small amount of milk into egg mixture gradually. Repeat 2-3 times.
- Return all milk and egg mixture back into the saucepan.
- Stir (or whisk to remove any lumps that have formed) over a medium heat or until custard thickens.
- Allow the custard to cool slightly, then pour into baked tart shell.
6 strawberries, washed, halved
1 kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced
1/4 tin mandarin pieces or peach slices
1 Tbsp apricot jam
- Arrange fruit over flan as desired.
- Warm jam in the microwave in a small heatproof dish.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush warm jam over the fruit.