The Power of Prayer
God loves us infinitely, so He is always listening to what we ask. Unfortunately, we treat God like a vending machine. When we don’t get the desired result immediately, we become frustrated and give up. Have we realised that at the very time we are talking to God, He may be listening to someone else whose need is greater than ours? By the time God ‘turns around’ to listen to us, we have already left.
God’s love for us is more than the love of all the parents in the world put together. He is our Father, and we are His children. When we pray, we are having a heart-to-heart conversation with Our Heavenly Father who loves more than we will ever comprehend. God knew us and loved us even before we were born and “all the hairs on our head are numbered” Luke 12:17. With this realisation, comes some understanding of how much we mean to God.
6 Tips to get started
- Schedule in time to talk to God.
- Choose a quiet place, free from distractions.
- Choose a topic. Pray about something specific so you can see what God is revealing to you.
- Our exterior reflects our interior attitude. Try sitting up if kneeling is too hard.
- Persevere! Even when we are tired and don’t feel like praying, it’s more important to show up than not to pray at all.
- Be patient and have faith. God will answer your prayer when the time is right.
Our heavenly Father loves us and it is His desire to have a relationship with us. Talk to God, tell Him exactly how you feel. That way you are praying already!
During this Lenten period, let us pray for ourselves, each other and the world. God is waiting to hear from us.