The Rosary Part 4: The Glorious Mysteries
In this final part of our series on the Rosary we look at the Glorious Mysteries.
The Glorious Mysteries of the Rosary are the final of the three traditional sets of events in the life of Jesus and Mary, which Catholics meditate on while praying the Rosary.
This mystery is traditionally prayed on Sundays and Wednesdays. The Glorious Mysteries are the pinnacle of Jesus’ victories. How invigorating to know that Jesus is God, who rose from the dead, thus destroying death and making us heirs to Heaven.
The Resurrection is the First of the Mysteries. We meditate on Jesus’ magnificent resurrection from the dead where He conquered death. This is the foundation of our Christian faith and gives us great hope.
In the Second Mystery, we commemorate Jesus’ glorious Ascension into Heaven where He is seated at the right hand of God interceding for us.
In the Third Mystery, we recall the descent of the Holy Spirit on the Apostles and the birth of the Church. Inspired by the Gifts of the Holy Spirit, the disciples went out to all the Earth proclaiming the Good News.
The Fourth Mystery evokes Mary’s assumption into Heaven after completing the course of her Earthly life. This teaching was officially proclaimed by Pope Pius XII in 1950. Besides Sundays and Christmas day, 15 August is the day we celebrate this great event and a day of Holy Obligation for Catholics.
The Fifth and final Mystery is The Coronation of Mary. Mary is proclaimed Queen of Heaven and Earth and crowned by Jesus.
Why do we pray the Rosary?
There are many benefits to praying the Rosary. A few a listed:
- An incredible peace comes over you. Through praying the Rosary, you put yourself and your intentions into God’s hands. You can let go of your fears and choose to completely trust in God, knowing that He is listening to your prayers.
- You will be comforted knowing that Jesus’ mother Mary is praying for you and your intentions.
- You will gain new insight into how much Jesus loves you. You will come to see how precious you are in His eyes because He suffered and died for you.
The Promises of the Rosary
The Blessed Virgin Mary made 15 promises to Saint Dominic and to all who faithfully pray the rosary.
Some of her most powerful promises are:
- Whatever you ask in the Rosary will be granted.
- Special protection and the greatest graces to all who recite the Rosary.
- All who recite the Rosary are the sons and daughters, and brothers and sisters of her only Son Jesus Christ.
- Those who faithfully recite the Rosary shall receive protection during their hour of greatest need.
When Mary appeared to the children in Fatima, she implored them to pray the Rosary daily for world peace. We live in a troubled world where war, hunger, suffering, and pain are the daily experiences of many. Most of us are not thriving nor are we living the life God intended for us. When we faithfully pray the Rosary, for our own, or the intentions of others, we are assured not only of inner peace but that our Heavenly Mother who loves us, hears our prayers and will faithfully intercede for us.
May Mary, the Blessed Mother of God, pray for us, and may Jesus her only Son, intercede for us at God’s right hand.